Playing Boules, The Tuileries, Paris (More)
Articles in On Line Opinion
This is a list of articles published since 2004 at the site On Line Opinion (editor Graham Young) dealing with issues other than museums.
2013 (November): The education of Christopher Pyne
2009 (March): League tables and school performance
2008 (October): The pursuit of self interest
2008 (September): Decay in a Time of Penury
2005 (November): Workplace reform: inequity, more stress, less choice
2005 (January): Global warming is happening right now
2004 (September): What price economic growth and progress? Taylorism revisited
Articles in New Matilda
The following is a list of articles which have appeared in the website publication New Matilda.
2005 (July): How to Wreck a Working Nation
2005 (May): How do we define fair?
Publications on Museums
A list of recent publications on museums and related matters is available below.
The following papers are a sample.
- Leaders in Museums: Entrepreneurs or Role Models. International Journal of Arts Management 5/2, 4-14 (2003). The abstract is available.
- The abstract of the Kenneth Myer lecture for the George Fairfax Fellowship at Deakin University, April 2002. The abstract and pdf version of the complete paper is available at the Deakin University site.
- The full text of a paper delivered at the Museums Australia 2002 conference, “Let’s get rid of Boards and get the Government out of our lives”
- An extract from the article “Museums for a New Century: Entertainments or Big Challenging Ideas” Artlink 22/4 (December 2002), p16-22.
- An article summarizing the results of the study of the effectiveness of museums completed 1999; the text of two radio talks on this topic delivered 2000 dealing with leadership and government can be found on the ABC Radio National site for Ockham’s Razor.
- The abstract of the paper dealing with museums and Australian indigenous peoples which appeared in Curator in 1996.
- The text of a speech on museums and indigenous peoples delivered to the Australian Reconciliation Convention, 1997.
- The text of the paper presented to the First World Congress on the Conservation and Preservation of Natural History Collections held in Madrid in May 1992, “Planning for the 21st Century and Preparing for the next 500 years”.
- The text of a paper presented to the Second World Congress on the Conservation and Preservation of Natural History Collections, Cambridge, England 20-25 August 1996, “Natural History Collections – A Resource for the Future: Who owns the Collections?“. (This paper has not been available publicly before.)
Here is a list of papers published over the last 20 years.
- 1984: ‘Diversifying and marketing museums in the eighties’, pp 88-99 In Peter Brokensha and Susan Tonkin (editors), Future Challenge Administering the Arts in the Eighties. (South Australian Institute of Technology, Adelaide); republished in Journal of Arts Management and Law, 14(2), 40-57.
- 1987: ‘Managing museums for people’. Proceedings of the Conference of the Australian Museum Associations, Perth, September 1986, pp 219-239.
1987: Managing in the Museum Organisation I. Leadership and communication. International Journal of Museum Management and Curatorship 6, 387-398.
1988: Managing in the Museum Organisation II. Conflict, Tasks, Responsibilities. International Journal of Museum Management and Curatorship 7, 11-23.
1989: ‘Does the museum profession have a future?’ MAA (NSW) Inc, 12 September 1989 (published as Occasional Paper No 1, 1991 of the Museums Association of Australia, NSW Branch)
1990: [‘Multiculturalism and Museums’], p. 66-68 In Amareswar Galla and Darryl MacIntyre (editors), ‘Issues in Multicultural Heritage Management‘ Proceedings of a Symposium [held at the University of Canberra, Canberra 16-17 June 1990], Office of Multicultural Affairs, Council of Australian Museum Associations, ACT Branch of the Museums Association of Australia Inc. & National Centre for Cultural Heritage Science Studies, Canberra.
1990: [‘Towards a coordinated National Policy on Museums: a strategy statement’], p 30-38 In Amareswar Galla and Darryl MacIntyre (editors), ‘Towards a Co-ordinated National Policy on Museums, Proceedings of a National Symposium‘ [held 18 June 1990], Office of Multicultural Affairs, Council of Australian Museum Associations, National Centre for Cultural Heritage Science Studies & ACT Branch of the Museums Association of Australia Inc, Canberra.
1990: ‘Crocodiles in the swamp’. In Anne Skates (editor), ‘Where are we Going? Evaluation in Scientific and Cultural Institutions‘, Proceedings [of a Conference at the Australian Museum, 12-13 November 1990], Government Printer, Sydney.
1991: ‘Management and leadership in museums’. Australian Library Journal 40 (2), 125-151. (Paper delivered, by invitation, at the Annual Meeting of the [American] Association of Science Museum Directors, Honolulu, 1 February 1990.)
1991: ‘Museums — Governance, Management and Government, or why are so many of the apples on the ground so far from the tree?’ Museum Management and Curatorship 10 (3): 293-304.
1991: ‘What is the notion of access in museums all about?’ Proceedings of the Annual Conference of the Council of Australian Museum Associations, Adelaide, October 1991.
1993: Museums and the environment: a challenge for us, not them. In “ICOM 1992 Museums: Rethinking the Boundaries” Proceedings of the XVIth International Council of Museums General Conference September 19-26 1992, Quebec City, Canada, pp 48-56.
1993: Ideas – Heresies Even – For Museum Futures. Museums Australia Journal 2-3, 1991-1992, p 33-48 (Public Address delivered for the Western Australian Government Task Force on Museums, Perth, 8 August, 1991).
1993: ‘Natural History Collections: Planning for the 21st century and preparing for the next 500 years.’ Keynote address. Proceedings of the International Symposium on the Preservation and Conservation of Natural History Collections, Madrid 9-15 May 1992. (Go to the text)
1994: The Future of Natural History and Anthropology Museums, paper presented at a Symposium organised by the Otago Museum, Dunedin, New Zealand, Museums in Business (23 June 1993). New Zealand Museums Journal 23 (2), 2-9.
1994: The Proper Business of Museums, paper presented at a Symposium organised by the Otago Museum, Dunedin, New Zealand, Museums in Business (22 June 1993). New Zealand Museums Journal 24 (1), 5-11.
1995: The Land of the Unicorns Revisited: the Myths and Realities of Management. Paper presented at the CAMA Conference 1992. Proceedings of the Annual Conference of the Council of Australian Museum Associations, November 1992.
1996: Previous Possessions, New Obligations: A Commitment by Australian Museums. Curator 39/1, 45-62.
1999 (with Morris Abraham): Management of museums in the 1990s: governments and organisational reform. In Kevin Moore (editor), Management in Museums. New Research in Museum Studies 7, 45-92. London & New Brunswick, NJ: The Athlone Press. Pp ix, 285.
1999 (with Morris Abraham and John Crawford): Organisation change and management decision in museums. Management Decision 37/10, 736-751.
1999 (with Morris Abraham and John Crawford): Effective management of museums in the 1990s. Curator 42/1, 37-53.
2001 (with Morris Abraham): The Effective Management of Museums: Cohesive Leadership and Visitor-focused Public Programming. Museum Management and Curatorship 18 (4), 335-368 (2000).
2001 (with T. J. Sullivan and Morris Abraham): NAGPRA, effective repatriation programs and cultural change in museums. Curator 43/3, 231-260. (Go to the abstract.)
2002 (with Morris Abraham and Tim Sullivan): Implementing NAGPRA: the effective management of legislated change in museums. Management Decision 40/1, 35-49.
2002 “Museums for a New Century: Entertainments or Big Challenging Ideas” Artlink 22/4 (December 2002), p16-22.
2002: Entrepreneurship in the Arts: Entrepreneurship in Museums. The 2002 Kenneth Myer Lecture for the George Fairfax Fellowship at the Melbourne Museum, 5 April 2002 (edited by Ruth Rentschler). Melbourne: Deakin University Bowater School of Arts & Entertainment Management. (Go to the abstractor the full text.)
2003: Leaders in Museums: Entrepreneurs or Role Models. International Journal of Arts Management 5/2, 4-14. (Go to the abstract.)
2005: Australian Museums and Indigenous Peoples: From Previous Posessions to Ongoing Responsibilities. Pp 81-95 in “The Native Universe and Museums in the Twenty-First Century.” Washington DC & New York: National Museum of the American Indian, Smithsonian Institution.
- 2007: With Janette Griffin, Lynn Baum, Jane Blankman-Hetrick, Julie I Johnson, Christine A. Reich and Shawn Roe, Optimizing Learning Opportunities in Museums: The Role of Organizational Culture. Pp 153-165 In John H. Falk, Lynn D. Dierking and Susan Foutz (editors) In Principle, In Practice. Lanham MD: Altamira Press.
- 2007: with M. Abraham, The Effective Management of Museums: Cohesive Leadership and Visitor Focused Public Programming Chapter 7 in Richard Sandell & Robert R. Janes (editors), Museum Management and Marketing. Leicester: Routledge.
- 2008: Advancing Museums. Museum Management and Curatorship 23(1), 43-61 (March 2008)